Clearblue “Easy” is Near Perfectly Accurate for Predicting Ovulation

Last month I had a fit about buying the CVS cheap brand of ovulation kits. It’s especially frustrating when you’re trying to figure out when you’re going to ovulate. Here’s the story last month. I went to the fertility clinic midcycle to check whether I was ovulating or was “going” to ovulate. They did an ultrasound and found that I did have two follicles on my left ovary. Therefore, they took a blood test to see if there’s an LH surge. Nope, there wasn’t. They told me that I can use one of those over the counter ovulation kits, “any one.” Well, I thought I was smart so I bought the CVS brand for $20 for 20 sticks. I went home and it was “positive”! Well, it was positive for 6 straight days.

Ok, I got freaked out. Maybe I have PCOS instead of endometriosis? Or I was just not ovulating. I told my fertility doctor and they said we’ll monitor more closely next month.

This time, I was ready. I scheduled a OB/GYN visit as well as a fertility clinic visit around my ovulation dates. On 3/2, I went to my ob office and said I needed a pap smear because the fertility doctor needed it (pure coincidence – I’m lucky this fell on the dates around my ovulation). As she’s doing the pap, she said “something” is going on down there and I look like I’m going to ovulate soon. My new ob is really cute. She put a cotton swab in me and pulled out my “egg whites” and told me how beautiful they look and how “classic textbook egg white” looks like. Seriously, too much detail even for myself because it really felt weird watching someone else play with your personal “material” and calling it beautiful. Clearblue that morning said “negative” but since the doc says I’m ovulating “soon,” I did the test again at 4 am that night (I worked til 4 am and not because I was stressing about ovulation). Negative. Hm…

Next morning, I was at the fertility clinic. Both my ovaries had follicles over 20mm (which is ripe and mature) so the fertility clinic said “go home and have intercourse.” Then they took a blood test. Results of the test came out in the afternoon and my LH was at 24.9. This represented a surge and the nurse who called me said I’m indeed ovulating and gave it a go sign.

I got home and tested myself at 7pm (3/3) and Clearblue gave me a “happy face.” See how accurate Clearblue is? Just to make sure I wasn’t doing what I did last month (which was ovulate for like 6 days straight according to CVS), I tested again the next morning (3/4) at 9:30 AM which was positive but on (3/5) it was negative. It did give me a 24 hour window for the positive happy face!

I’ve attached the photo below. A happy face drawn is for the days that it was positive. They did warn you that you can’t be looking at the lines to determine any results. You solely have to look on their digital monitor for either a happy face for a blank face. The kit was $25 on Amazon with 20 sticks and the digital monitor. Worth it? Definitely. At least I know I am normal.

Clearblue Easy that I bought:

I highly recommend it. Tested with ultrasound and physicians backing this time, I am sure it was 100% accurate for me!

Oh, P.S., the CVS brand still showed I was positive “today” even when Clearblue says I’m not. Seriously, drop the cheap brand. I’m not going to test any other brands because I’ve already found one that works. That’s enough for me!

This entry was posted in General, Ovulation and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Clearblue “Easy” is Near Perfectly Accurate for Predicting Ovulation

1. i don’t understand……and i don’t which is positive or the negative….

Hi Debbie, a smiling face means you’re ovulating now and in the next 48 hours are the best times for you and your dear husband to do some homework at home (wink wink).

2. Stephanie says:

yay I had the smiley face last night so we did the deed so I retested four hours later and I got the blank face retested again this morning and once again blank face….what happened?

You were on the end of your ovulation prediction. It doesn’t mean you weren’t ovulating. It just means your spike was 4 hours prior or even before that. Good thing you caught the end of it. Always test every 6-12 hours like a day to two days before you THINK you’re going to ovulate to not miss any opportune time!

3. hmm says:

Are you supposed to be going by the lines? I don’t have my test kit instructions in front of me but I swear I read somewhere that you should not be basing results on the lines and leave it to the smileys or blank circle to give the answer.

I used smileys and circles because ClearBlue makes it easy. There are some that does the lines but the colors often get confused! And sometimes when you think you ARE ovulating, you’re not because the darkness of the lines are off or you think you see something you don’t. Makes it confusing. I just use Clearblue to make it simple… I went through so many brands and this was the easiest brand that didn’t cause me any stress…

4. Stephanie says:

no its based off of either a smiley face or a blank face not by the lines…and the best time to test is evening time so good luck

Hi Stephanie,

Everyone ovulates on a different schedule so it’s not necessarily the evening but the best way is every 6-12 hours when you’re around ovulation time. Many women miss their ovulation by testing a certain time of day. Since your ovulation window is only 24 hours total, you could miss the spike if you test only in the evenings. Hope this helps!

5. Pingback: Using Ovulation Test as Pregnancy Test (using OPK and HPT) | HogHugs

6. Your style is really unique in comparison to other
    folks I have read stuff from. Many thanks for posting when youu have the opportunity, Guess I will justt
    book mark this site.

7. Pingback: Alcohol Detoxification In Malibu Rehab Middle | Use Successful Natural Treatments For Liver Detox

8. Pingback: Detox Foot Bath Purges Toxic Compounds | Detox Beverages To Reduce Body Weight

9. Hey! I could have sworn I’ve been to this site before
    but after reading through some of the post I realized it’s new to me.

Anyways, I’m definitely happy I found it and I’ll be
    bookmarking and checking back often!

10. My developer is trying to persuade me to movve to .net ffrom PHP.
    I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses.
    But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on a number of websites ffor about a year and am nervous
    about switching to another platform. I have heard
    grteat things about blogengine.net. Is there a
    way I can transfer all my wordpress conhtent into it?
    Anyy help would be greatly appreciated!

11. Sherrie says:

I couldn’t resist commenting. Exceptionally well written!

12. Pingback: Water Fasting And Detoxification — jengafrica