Spotting During Pregnancy for Women with Endometriosis

So being pregnant is scary enough but to see spotting? It could make you want to faint right? I’ve done some research and many women with endometriosis have spotting during pregnancy. Women in general have some spotting during pregnancy and turn out to be perfectly normal.

The day I found out I was pregnant was after I started spotting. August 12, 2011, I started spotting. It’s the usual before my period comes so I put a pad in and got ready for my bloody galore. Didn’t think about it the rest of the afternoon. The next morning came and no additional blood. I was shocked. Immediately I took out my pregnancy tests. I had cheapie ones and those $15 expensive ones. I used a cheapie one. Positive. Another cheapie one of another brand. Positive. WHAT?! Then I whipped out, ta da, my $15 one and hoped that I don’t make a mistake or else I’ve wasted a $15 stick by not having enough pee or something. POSITIVE.

My spotting I was told was implantation bleeding. Some people never get it but I did. So it was brown and enough for a panty liner but not a pad.

Then I had no spotting for four more weeks. Week 8 came and bam, spotted some more. Freaked out and immediately went to the doctors.  Found heartbeat and that the baby was growing 2 days faster than other babies. Was totally happy. What was the spotting? Just clearing old blood and uterus making room for the baby. Went on and off for a week. Spotted 3 days total. All brown blood. No dark red.

This isn’t the case with other women. For me, I haven’t experienced any pain due to endometriosis like other women. Many people say that when you get pregnant, you won’t feel your endometriosis pains anymore. I think that’s bull shit. Just because you’re pregnant doesn’t mean your fibrins are not in  your body. They take time to go away. Plus, in the beginning of your pregnancy, you have raging hormones. With every increase in other hormones, your estrogen also increases at the beginning of pregnancy. This may cause your endometriosis to get worse before it gets better.

Until week 12 when your baby starts to regulate their own hormones, you’ll still be producing those hormones. That’s why when people say you’ll get first trimester nausea and discomfort, etc., it is your body’s way of telling you it’s trying to adjust to the imbalance of surging hormones. It’s the hormones that’s making you sick, sleepy, nauseous, or vomit.

For many other women with endometriosis, you spot through your entire pregnancy. Remember those blood clots during your periods that made you want to scream or sometimes faint and die? Well, as your uterus expands, those same fibrins and sticky material that’s making your bladder, etc. stick together is still expanding or sometimes break away. This may cause bleeding but it’s OUTSIDE the uterus. Therefore, don’t worry. Always check with your doctor though for any bright red bleeding and clotting. It may be scary but it may be just the norm for you.

Other bleeding could involve the baby implanting on a blood vessel so as the baby grows, your blood vessel may have popped. It’s totally fine.

Be sure to remain calm when you spot. If you can’t find an ob and you start to bleed more heavily, go to emergency. My sister had that case and she went to the emergency. She had a case of threatened miscarriage. She was ordered bed rest. In either case, it gives you a peace of mind to see the doctor, hear the heartbeat and make sure nothing else is wrong.

Buy a fetal doppler. Sonoline B is the one I use and it was only $50 some odd dollars. Works as a charm after 10 weeks. You can hear your baby’s heart beat everyday until you start to feel the kicking. You can monitor the baby’s heart rate and that’ll keep you calm. It’s cheap and well worth the money.

About these ads
This entry was posted in General, Pregnancy and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

35 Responses to Spotting During Pregnancy for Women with Endometriosis

1. Kristin says:

So glad I found this information – it’s really helpful!! I am 7wks and for 3 weeks now have had the brown spotting. It’s only enough to show on a pantyliner or when I wipe, but still makes me wonder what’s going on. I have never been “officially” diagnosed w/ endo, but my OB told me years ago it was highly likely due to the pain and randomness of my periods. I never had the labroscopy to confirm this. I sure want everything to go smoothly with this baby, even if it was a surprise! I am sure it’s just as you described – as I grow more tissue breaks away and causes the brown spotting issue. I thank you for the information!!

2. JacKK says:

Your note is really helpful – thanks. That said I’m 8 1/2 weeks pregnant and suffer with Endometriosis and PCOS. I have pretty heavy red bleeding (no clots) and have been bleeding in some form or other for 2 weeks now. I also have endometrial cramps which I haven’t had for the past 7 months whilst trying to get pregnant (I had an op 3 years ago and have been on pill until started trying). I’ve been for two vaginal scans so far and baby has heart beat. I’m fine in the mornings, but bleeding and pain gets progressively worse throughout the day so am stuck on the sofa with a hottie and paracetamol (told this is all I can take) everyday. Has anyone else had this experience? I’m very anxious and its getting harder to remain cheerful.

First of all, congrats on your pregnancy. Second, please start changing your diet to help with the endo and bleeding. I do hear that bleeding gets better in the second and third trimesters due to hormones in pregnancy. Due to bleeding though, I would request an ultrasound on a weekly basis you til you are stable in the second trimester after week 15 or so or you may always be scared that your baby is going through miscarriage. Get a sonoline b doppler through the web and you can start monitoring the baby’s heartbeat at home yourself. It gave me so much comfort everyday to hear the heartbeat but home dopplers usually don’t pick up heartbeat until week 11 or 12 but to me, it was well worth the $50 or so I spent on it. Please update us on your baby progress! With diet changes and pregnancy, your endo maybe gone by the end of your pregnancy! Many uterus looks totally different after pregnancy…

• Stacey says:

JacKK….I came across this website when searching for answers and your post seems to be quite on par with me. I see that you posted your comment in May. I would be most appreciate if you would update. I’m really bothered and scared. I’m 7 1/2 weeks and basically been spotting since weeks after conception. The past several days I’ve been experiencing more bright red blood. I’ve had several vag/ultra sounds, baby is supposedly well with a very strong heartbeat. I too, like you, start out fine in the morning and by the evening….. Well, like I said, would you be so kind as to give me an update!?!

As long as the baby is fine, spotting doesn’t matter. I would take it easy though. Don’t lift heavy items and no strenuous workout until second trimester!

3. Monica says:

Thank you for this post I’m going through this now 7 weeks 5 days pregnant with endo started spotting dark brown since i got my positive hpt. I also did ivf to get pregnant. Hopefully all will be well. I searche everywere for info and your post was the most imformative.

• ann says:

I found out Iwas pregnant two days before I was supposse to go in for my laproscopy surgery. I am 7 weeks now and very excited! I have spotting and some bleeding and been going for a weekly ultrasound. The spotting and bleeding makes me nervous but I wear a pantyliner and I’m fine. reading your posts make me feel like I’m not alone and I will be fine. Thanks for sharing your story.

Hi! Congrats on your pregnancy! Just make sure you go for more routine checkups than other women and I highly recommend a heartbeat monitor at home. You can get a cheap one called sonoline B from ebay or other websites for around $50. You can monitor your baby starting week 10 I believe. I heard heartbeat everyday. Gave me a peace of mind.

4. Brandi says:

I found out in Feb that I had endo. I was also preg. I had been trying for two years. Said so excited, just to find out three next day I had to have surgery, due to it being an ectopic preg. It was very painful. I had the endo removed. Got preg again 5 months later. With yet another ectopic preg. I’ve now been told if it happens again I’ll lose the only fellopian tube I have left. It’s been 3 months. And I was suppose to start 5 days ago. I have a really really light pink spotting once a day. Except for yesterday. My bf says I need to take a preg test. But I don’t know if I want to. I have pains occassionally in my right side. But not crampy our in my back like normal. Is there a chance I could be preg or is it just an abnormal per??? Opinions pls..

Hi Brandi,

There’s no way to know unless if you take a pregnancy test. Sounds like implantation bleeding or it could be a different period. If this is out of the norm, you could be pregnant. Please take a test! Find a good doctor that may be able to preserve your tube. Have you asked them why you are more prone to ectopic pregnancies?

• sue says:

Freeze your eggs, before you try to conceive anymore. You don’t want to take that risk if you lose another fallopean tube! Good luck

5. Shannon Patrick says:

I have severe endo, I had a laparotomy in dec 2012 they were able to clean me all out! I was on the Lupron shot for 6 months after the surgery… I have been trying to conceive my 2nd child since Septemeber. This month my ob put me on clomid, I did ovulate. I started to feel very tired days 7-9 after ovulation, day 11 and 12 I have some spotting it’s brown and enough to wear a panty liner. It’s mainly there when I wipe.. My breast are really sore that started about day 10 after ovulation. I am also experiencing heart burn which I had throughout my entire first pregnancy. I am also experiencing alot of abdominal cramping and feeling bloated..
    I just don’t know if this bleeding is the start of my period early, I am not due to start for another 4 days.. If its implantation bleeding or my endometriosis.. Any suggestions? I desperately want another baby my daughter is 7, and we have been trying to conceive for a total of 2 years..

cant be certain whether it is implantation bleeding. I know waiting to test really stinks as we all want to know now now now whether we are pregnant but wait 3 days and do a pregnancy test…. did your flow get heavier? If it gets bright pink or red tomorrow, I would say that is probably your period, if not, it could be implantation! Good luck to you! Please let us know when you succeed! I am going to start trying 8n a couple months too!

6. Kristen says:

This really helped me alot , I have endometriosis and I have been trying to get pregnant for a couple months now but every time I think im pregnant , it’s just endo making me feel that way and have late periods but right now im going on probably a week of having like brown spotting , there was red blood like once but the rest is brown and is only enough for a pantyliner , do you think it’s my endo or that I could possibly finally be pregnant?

7. Kristen says:

Yes sometimes my period is late but I can always tell when it’s comming ( sore breasts , bloating ect. ) but not right now I just have that and it hasnt stopped for a week but it’s not enough for a pad or a tampon at all. I just am trying to figure it out because as I said many times before I thought I was pregnant when I wasnt but this has never happpened it just being brown , if it has happened it was always pink or red but light and then i got my period.

8. Renarta Mack says:

Hi
    Your post are very helpful….im a little worried for so many reasons…Well i missed my period and today would have been the 7th day that it was late and im always regular and on time…it may last long but it always starts around the same time of the months….i have endometriosis and also endomertrin cyst on both ovaries…..well today i had this sharp pain and i passed a big clot and i had dark red blood and then brown spots was on my pad…..i usually bleed really heavy to where im changing pads or tampons like every 15 minutes, after i passed the clot i have no pain but im still spotting….its like brown and light red which is not the norm for me….i dont actually know if im pregnant or not but ive never missed a period and the way this bleeding is light and i have no pain is making me wonder if i am….should i even take a pregnancy test or is this something else?? please if u could help me out with any info i would greatly appreciate it :-)

Try a pregnancy test for sure. If it is not, then get an ultrasound. The big clot could be you expelling old blood.

9. lorra rufino says:

hi im 34 yrs old and for 5 years we have been trying to conceive.i was diagnosed with endo but dont experience severe pain or cramping during mens cycle,however bleeding usually lasted for a week..surprisingly,i am 8 weeks pregnant now,and have been bleeding for a week ,but not heavily,panty liner will do..i had my ob check up and the babys heart beat is ok..she said my bleeding is normal because of endo,but she has to see me after a week again.im currently on bed rest and taking duphaston 6x a day..

10. lorra rufino says:

by the way,before i got pregnant,i bought an e-book , pregnancy miracle by lisa olsen,and subscribe to natural fertility by heather. and importing this herbs from the U.S for my endometriosis…i have tried acupuncture and drinking vitamins with high concentration of zinc..i hope this could help women out there who have been wanting to have a baby for so long and with endo..dont loose hope..esp. with prayers,nothing is impossible!

11. Cait says:

Thank you for this. Never been “formally” diagnosed with endo but I have many of the symptoms and my mother was diagnosed with it so my likelihood is high. I am about 6 weeks pregnant and started off my 5th week with cramping followed a few days later by very light brownish bleeding that hasn’t stopped. I called the doc and she said I am ‘likely’ fine but we will get an ultrasound between the 6th and 7th if the bleeding doesn’t stop (which it hasn’t, will be calling tomorrow to schedule per instructions) Just occurred to me today that the endo could be the reason for bleeding even though I still “feel” pretty pregnant. I know it’s not a guarantee that endo is what’s causing my symptoms but your post helped make me hopeful for a better outcome then the one that has been in my mind. Thank you VERY much

• Lisa says:

I am 6 wks pregnant today. I have had spotting with light pink/brown once every other day, only when I wipe, nothing on my pantyliner. I couldn’t figure out why I am spotting. This kinda makes sense. I had endometriosis removed back in 2009. I believe it came back. I go later this week for an u/s to see if there’s a heartbeat. My numbers have been good. Fingers crossed & prayers please!

12. StephanieMc says:

Just reading your posts gives me so much hope! I have been ttc for 6 years now. My baby turned 6 this month and I have had Endo ever since. My new OB thinks I have incisional Endo from complications with my c-section. Unfortunately, I am divorced and my new bf has no kids. I don’t even feel right about marrying him because I’m afraid if I do I’ll be robbing him of the chance to ever have children. I have probably read thousands of web posting sites over the past years and I must say this one is the best so far. In fact, I’ve never even commented before. I had almost made up my mind that Endo was a permanent infertility sentence but to hear all of you talk about being pregnant…well I guess there’s hope after all. Like every other month for the last 6 yrs I’m just sure my symptoms are different this time and this will be my month. I guess well just have to wait and see!

13. Janelle says:

I am 37 & was diagnosed with endo about 10 years ago. After 12 months of trying I am now 7 wks 2 days. I have been freaking out for the last 2 wks because of spotting almost every day, the Dr didn’t seem too fussed but told me to get as much rest as I can (which is hard when you work full time). This article has helped massively. It makes it easier to beleive when I tell myself everthing is ok knowing that it most likely is just the endo. Still on count down to the 12 week scan though. :)

14. Confused says:

Hi …. Just a couple of questions … Do many people still get clots when pregnant ? I was sure I was pregnant … Tired sick late by 5 days etc and than some slight spotting now I have my period (I think) but I still feel so sick and I want to vomit almost all day long … How long does it take for people when endo to fall?

15. StephanieMc says:

ANYTHING is possible w Endo…not long aftr I posted (January 10th) I found out I was pregnant…i spotted 4 almost 2 1/2 months…sometimes heavy…once I evn passed a clot jus a lil smaller thn a quarter…im jus now starting 2 ease up on the bleeding & I’m 15wks 4days…i kno I’m not completely in the clear yet but I’m closer & closer everyday. I’m so paranoid I put myself on bed rest & refuse to go anywhere lol. It’s all worth it if I get a healthy baby. I tried for 6 yrs b4 getting pregnant so don’t ever give up!! :) I ended up ordering a big pack of ovulation n pregnancy tests off Amazon just so Id have a bunch & could take em whenever I wanted to. They are really cheap when you order em in bulk like that & it makes you feel better to be able to test whenever you want. Blessings & baby dust 2 u!!

16. Alexis says:

I’m 29, diagnosed with endomitriosis on April 7th. My period was due April 11th. I noticed that when I wipe I see a faint brown color. Not every time either. I did go up to feel my cervix to see if the blood was pink or red, but just a little brown if I can reach my cervix… I tested 3 days ago and it was negative. I tested on April 13th. What do u think ??